I wrote a book!
To pad it out, Apress hired my favorite illustrator, Terry Colon, to illustrate it. He did a fantastic job (the cover illustration at right will give you a feel for his style). His goofy, frantic, manically hilarious illustrations are reason enough to buy the book.
Here’s what you get:
- Chapter 1: “Hitting the High Notes”
- Chapter 2: “Finding Great Developers”
- Chapter 3: “A Field Guide to Developers”
- Chapter 4: “Sorting Resumes”
- Chapter 5: “The Phone Screen”
- Chapter 6: “The Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing”
- Chapter 7: “Fixing Suboptimal Teams”
- Appendix: “The Joel Test”
As you know, I write first and foremost for the web, so most of this material originated as Joel on Software articles. As usual, I did a bunch of reorganizing, reformatting, and rewriting to make it into a book-quality thing that you can read from beginning to end, and, since it’s such a short book, you should be able to do that during the commercials of a typical half-hour sitcom.
It’s cheap, about $13 on Amazon right now, so get your copy now before they run out.